Originally Posted By: ireckon
I just realized something. How does the strangulation issue come into play if I'm carrying around my neck my camera, my man bag or my rifle? None of these items have breakaway straps!

I somewhat agree. I carry a 1+ lb camera + lens on a strap around my neck all the time and I would not think of putting a break away strap on it for fear of losing the camera if the breakaway failed at an inopportune time.

In general, out of an urban environment and in a wilderness setting I would think that it would take a nasty fall or slip, then something strong enough to hook the non-breakaway lanyard or strap onto, then at the same time, incapacitate your hands completely so that you could not reach the knife attached to your belt to cut yourself loose from the lanyard. Realistically I cannot envision all these occurring at one time nor did a quick Google search show any results where a person is out hiking and was strangled by a lanyard.

John Lubbock