Originally Posted By: JohnN
I'm sure you will discount this as hearsay, but it is considered common knowledge in the law enforcement and self defense communities that OC spray simply doesn't work on 100% of the subjects and high suspicion that "highly motivated to resist/assault" plays a factor.

Even if that isn't true, and we rather attribute the result to some are "simply immune", the result is the same. Not 100% effective means not 100% effective.

I don't think I'd write it of as hearsay, but I do wonder how well human behaviour / psychology maps to bears when it comes to this (I honestly don't know). Admittedly, I would be more swayed if those in bear management / conservation roles noticed such behaviour in bears.

That said, it is definitely worth taking into consideration.

However, I still end up going back to those studies of actual events which lead me to the conclusion I stated above that bear spray alone provides you with an extremely high probability of surviving an incredibly low probability event.