Originally Posted By: clearwater
Originally Posted By: Denis
So in 20 years of known encounters in Alaska there has not been a single fatality, or even significant injury, among those who have used bear spray as a defence against bears, even aggressive ones.

This event that started the discussion is such an event.

They were depending on bear spray, but were unable to (apparently) access it in time.

I don't think that's a fair statement; the key word in my statement above is used. Neither bear spray nor firearms are magic amulets, they need to be used to be effective.

According to the accounts I've read, they had bear spray but none of them used it; not even those who were not directly under attack.

According to the most detailed account I read, it said:

"[Berg] was attacked and knocked to the ground before he could grab the bear spray he and others were carrying with which to defend themselves.
Some of them were trying to get to their bear spray. They never did. There wasn't enough time."

It would be interesting to find out what caused this failure. Was it just panic (which would be understandable) or did it have to do with how they were carrying the spray?

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Could a rifle shot from someone else in the group have made a difference?

If the other members weren't able to ready their bear spray, I don't see how they would have been more able to ready a rifle.

But yes, its possible it could have helped if there was someone more capable with a firearm than this group appeared to have been with bear spray. Its also possible someone more capable with bear spray (or even who carried it in a more accessible way?) could have made a difference as well.