Originally Posted By: JohnN
With all due respect, I didn't discount the results of the study. I simply suggested that people may draw the wrong conclusions from them.

This is the conclusion one of the studies we are talking about draws:

"Persons working and recreating in bear habitat should feel confident that they are safe if carrying bear spray. Although bear spray was 92% effective by our definition of success, it is important to note that 98% of persons carrying it were uninjured after a close encounter with bears."

I don't think I'm misreading your last response, but it sounded like you were saying bear spray might work against non-aggressive bears, but wouldn't be effective against aggressive ones; for those scenarios you'd need a firearm to have even a chance. This is something the study contradicts.

For example, you reiterated:

But I also stand by my suggestion that bear spray isn't going to stop a bear fully committed to an attack. It won't even stop all humans fully committed to an attack.

Yet the evidence suggests otherwise:

"In 64% (9 of 14) of these close encounters, brown bears charged the person(s) before being sprayed. In 85% (12 of 14; G1 = 7.9, P = 0.019) of aggressive encounters with brown bears, bear spray stopped the bear’s aggressive behavior; in 12% (1 of 14) the person spraying the bear was not injured, but the bear charged through the fog, halting 1 m from the person before moving off. In 12% (1 of 14) of aggressive encounters the bear contacted and slightly injured the person in the interaction (i.e., deep scratches requiring stitches)."

So in 20 years of known encounters in Alaska there has not been a single fatality, or even significant injury, among those who have used bear spray as a defence against bears, even aggressive ones.

Approach the situation as you will, but in a forum such as this I think it does a disservice to anyone reading this to suggest that they would be at risk by relying on bear spray as their defence against bear attacks. The information available simply does not warrant suggesting that bear spray cannot be relied upon as ones primary, and even sole, tool for defence.

I fully support your decision to take whatever chances you like as long as you are willing to live with any potential consequences.

To this, my response is the same as the one I made to clearwater when he made a similar suggestion (that I am somehow risking my life or the life of others by not recommending a firearm). I'll simply quote that exchange:

Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Limit yourself if you want, but the safety of other's children?

You have not demonstrated that choosing bear spray as one's defence tool puts anyone at risk.

All the data I've been able to find suggests that choosing bear spray over firearms increases ones chances of survival and avoiding injury in the case of a bear attack. If this is not the case please provide information which shows the results of these studies are incorrect.

In the end, we all must make our *own* decision what to do. I feel the best way to do this is to have a robust discussion, consider the arguments, and then make that personal decision.

Absolutely. My point is we need to make this decision using the best and most accurate information we have available to us.