Originally Posted By: Mike_H
I still think the biggest survival challenge for your character will be the shock of a new enviroment and the change in people. This really shouldn't be downplayed. Think about the recent Katrina stories how civilized people quickly broke into chaos. Thievery happened very quickly.

I have thought of things which would bring comfort but I am going to have to treat this as a survival situation.

Edit: One idea I suggested to the game master, when Jeanette is transported to the future, she thinks she is in some other English-speaking country.

What type of dangers are you envisioning on your quest? Feral cats / dogs? Rabies could certainly be raging unchecked in the wild with the abscence of vacines.

As I understand it, the biggest threats are thieves and religious extremists.

A good plot twist for you GM would be that maybe only one or two of your "planned" items are still in your room. The rest missing due to being needed by your family to survive. Maybe a book was missed. A knife in the back of a closet.

I have thought about what you said. Even with the house in the family, items will be rearranged and some no longer there. Take for example Dad's drawing table. It's now being used as a desk in my bedroom. When my player-character returns home, her bedroom is still a bedroom but the computer and TV are gone. Her clothes may be preserved in a cedar chest as relics from the past but there is no reason to preserve socks and undergarments. As for planned items, do you mean personal items or gear that would be useful in this setting?

Are you sure your family would be welcoming at first appearence? A stranger (40 years removed) suddenly shows up. I can see some interesting plot decisions around that...

My family will not be leaping for joy. To use a phrase from another forum, my player-character just "pulled a Danielle."

Will the trek be more urban or more woodland? As discussed here, that really makes a difference.

The trek takes place in a ruined urban environment.

Medicinals and salt would actually become a commodity in this brave new world.

I don't see how salt would be a precious commodity but my medical kit is.

Knowledge of plants and herbs would be valuable as well.

I have a book on herbs which I'm sure will get a lot of use in this role play.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (07/26/11 09:52 PM)