Originally Posted By: clearwater
Would you be comfortable with water purification that killed 90% of pathogens?

I am more comfortable with a self defence tool that allows me to escape injury over 90% of the time compared to the one that only allows me to escape injury 50% of the time (according to the USFWS study).

Since a bear has poor eyesight and good sense of smell, the likely-hood of surprising a bear (when a grizzly is most likely to attack) would be when you are facing the wind. Both sound and smell would be muted by the airflow.

This was answered by Tom Smith's research.

"Wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy in five of the 71 incidents studied, although the spray reached the bear in all cases. Smith used a wind meter to test the speed of the spray as it streams out of the canister. Repeated tests showed an average of 70 miles per hour. Smith also noted that bears and humans can easily see each other in open, windy spaces. The surprise encounters tend to occur in wooded areas in which vegetation blocks wind."

As for storing bear spray in a trunk, I have had soles of shoes de-laminate from the heat generated by a car trunk. Not a good place to store something in an aerosol can.

Part of safe operation & maintenace is storing and transporting it where it is under 50 degrees C (~120 F). This is a part of being the responsible owner of a dangerous item.

Pepperspray works only to 32 F? Alaska doesn't get that cold does it?

If you are dealing with these temperatures, the brown/black bears are likely hibernating and yes, a firearm would become the go-to option. That said, in Smith's study of incidents of bear spray use in Alaska there were no reports of spray malfunction.

Limit yourself if you want, but the safety of other's children?

You have not demonstrated that choosing bear spray as one's defence tool puts anyone at risk.

All the data I've been able to find suggests that choosing bear spray over firearms increases ones chances of survival and avoiding injury in the case of a bear attack. If this is not the case please provide information which shows the results of these studies are incorrect.