Originally Posted By: ireckon
Just to be clear, I'm not accusing anybody of being irresponsible. For me, it's about knowing what the heck I'm talking about when recommending a self-defense device to another person.

That's fair, that said there have been statements made (not by you) in this thread accusing the group of negligence for not including firearms in their preps.

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Either I know entirely what I'm saying, or don't talk at all. The self-defense tool, whether it's a gun or bear spray, should be put through the ringer from all different viewpoints. Every stat should be questioned. All available facts should be known.

Information is key. Honestly, I always assumed a firearm was a superior choice to bear spray. However I was not able to find any real information to back this up; everything I've found indicates bear spray is, generally speaking at least, the better choice.

I'm not anti-gun and honestly have no issues with firearms in the wilderness; they seem like a valuable tool. I just haven't found any compelling reason to suggest that firearms should be considered the go-to, or even mandatory, self defence tool against bears.