Lesson learned relatively cheaply, at least so far.

It appears that Saturday night we left our garage door open, and some @$$hole went in and stole my wife's purse from the car.

We found out when the credit card companies called to ask if we had visited 7 Wal-Marts that morning.

Spent an exciting Sunday calling around cancelling stuff.

Lessons learned

1) PAY ATTENTION- if we had not been distracted by the kids, the heat blah, blah- we would not have left garage open, nor left purse in car

2) calling banks on Sundays SUCKS

3) Buy locks that are easy to re-key- I have kwik-set locks, and was able to re-key them in 3 minutes......After buy the tool my kids lost sigh.

4) there are alternate good uses for Credit Reporting services- They make a nice checklist for figuring out what needs to be cancelled vs what you can keep.

5) having 2 accounts on payroll accounts is a nice safety net- the checking account had to be closed (Wife had checks in purse) and it was primary payroll account- Since I had secondary account set up, was able to get payroll re-routed same day

6) realized that we have no deadbolt on door from garage into house. It is pure luck that thief did not enter house. At least on laptop was on kitchen table.

Okay,
What preps do I do to avoid repeat of this?