Originally Posted By: Paul810
A buddy of mine just converted his house over to solar power. So far, his most expensive electric bill has been $3, but most of the time they send him money. He's also planning on buying a plug-in automobile, that way he can just charge it off the house. I thought that was a great idea...he would be in better shape than most if gas prices go crazy or if there is a major power failure.

Be aware that most such residential systems provide no protection whatsoever against power cuts.
They use PV modules connected to the grid via a grid tie inverter, any surplus power produced is exported into the grid, and any demand in excess of solar production is imported from the grid.
Such schemes can be viable financialy, and they benifit the enviroment by reducing fuel burnt in power plants.

To protect against power cuts, you need an off grid battery charging system with a stand alone inverter, this is unlikely to pay for itself in terms of money invested versus power produced, but could well be justified as a disaster prep.

Anyone who believes that a standard grid tied solar system protects against power cuts should try a very simple experiment. Turn off the main circuit breaker, thereby simulating a power cut.
See what still works, allmost certainly nothing does.

Any friend or relative who believes that their new grid tied solar system protects against power cuts, should be asked a simple question "how big is the battery" the answer is normally "what battery"

I am not opposed to grid tied PV but it should be regarded as a money saving, enviroment protecting scheme and not as a disaster prep.