You don't need to run generator 24x7 to keep a refrigerator or freezer cold. An hour or so, a couple of times a day, should do a pretty good job, especially if you discipline yourself not to open the door more frequently than needed. The compressor on either does not run constantly, even if power is available.

Last May, in the aftermath of the tornadoes in my area, we were without power for over 36 hours. The food in my freezer was still cold, when power was restored, but we had already hauled the most important items to my in-laws, a few miles away.

My next door neighbor, though, was brought a generator by his son-in-law. They set it up in the driveway, ran extension cords into the house for the freezer & 'fridge, started the generator, then left it running all night while they left home to stay with daughter & son-in-law for the duration. We, the neighbors who remained in our homes (by choice), had to listen to the damned thing running all night. It would have been better received had it been run intermittently, or best, shared. However, it wasn't my generator (though it nearly was at around 4:00AM!!!) ;-)

I, & several other neighbors, have since made it a point to get to know each other a little better--which was the best aftermath of the storm (besides my new roof). :-)

David