Originally Posted By: Susan

The feeling I got (right or wrong) was that some people might feel that leaving was just too much effort, or that it was a matter of the Fear Factor: the thought of being outdoors at night maybe being the main one. Don't laugh at fear of the dark: it's very real and affects a lot more people than you suspect. It's really fear of the unknown, I think, but our modern, technological society kind of fosters it.

Another issue is that many people only look at the big picture and it looks too scary, overall. But if you sit down and think how to do it in bite-sized chunks, it might look more do-able.

And... wouldn't it be a nice thing to do it and KNOW that you were capable of handling it?

Comments?
Sue

Sue, you make some valid points in your post. As you so well stated, there is no correct answer. Every person here has different technical /survival skills along with wide ranges of wilderness "ground time" and I don't hold any different opinion of those who would rather stay versus those who like myself, would rather hike out.

Furthermore, you mentioned that bite-sized chunks is the key and that is great thinking. A 60 mile hike divided into well thought out and balanced hiking/resting segments is very doable for my SO and I based on our experience and skill levels especially when sticking to the FS roads which is part of this particular scenario. Had this scenario involved cross country travel over more formidable terrain and coupled with bad weather, then our decision would probably be different depending on the overall scenario.

John Lubbock