Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Slight thread hijack, but may turn out to be eventually related to this thread.

Just read this news story and could help but think of Sue's scenario. It will interesting to see if any real life parallels develop here, if and when the couple are found...

FYI Seems those lost campers are safe and sound: http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/07/12/newlyweds-unaware-theyd-been-reported-missing-mounties

Of course Sue’s scenario has no answer. To come to a conclusion as to stay or go we need to add our own extra info and assumptions about the area and the situation.

For me, in my part of the world, I’d stay put. That’s because anywhere I could get to for a day trip is very likely to have another vehicle come along.
If its winter, I think I could get to a place where there may be only one vehicle per week, and probably on the weekend, so staying may entail a week’s wait; but the rest of the year I think it would be less than a week’s wait.

Having said I’d wait I guess I’d add the qualifier that I may walk a “short distance” to a nearby intersection because that could double the chance of being found, and I’d put an obstacle on the road to force a vehicle to slow or stop. If there are no intersections nearby, then there would be no real point in walking half way along the road because any vehicle which comes half way along is doing so with the intention of driving the entire track, so I’be better off saving my energy and waiting.