[/quote]Jerry,

How did your XGK run on AvGas (which I believe contains lead)? I assume it ran reasonably well, but did you have to clean the jet a lot?

Sounds like the XGK was perfect for what you were doing -- flying in -- where you could pull straight from the tanks. I wouldn't want to try that on a 111 and certainly not on a 111B.

The XGK, particularly older models (pre shaker jet, but especially those with the surge damper) could actually be made to almost simmer. You had to really reduce the pressure in the tank and then fiddle with it a lot. I've been able to do it, although it's not like using a stove designed to simmer where it's a snap.
[/quote]

Jim,

The XGK ran very well on AvGas, but certainly needed cleaning more frequently. The old 80 Octane required a basic cleaning every couple of days (probably did not need it that often, but I did it regularly to avoid problems). The 100 Octane Low Lead that basically replaced the 80 was much cleaner, usually I got by a week without problems. The lead means that you HAVE to use it outside and avoid the fumes, but I don't like using any stove (especially a gasoline one) inside a tent anyway. It was (and still is) perfect for what I do. The 111 of any sort would not even be in the running! I did use my 123 a few times (before I got my XGK) but finding fuel where I arrived by commercial air was often a pain and disposing of the extra usually was a gift to the pilot or someone locally. It often required giving them the bottle too.

Simmering on my old XGK was possible, just not easy. I expect the new/old one will be similar. I don't know about the EX yet, I have tried it only a couple of times. I also got a scorch plate from the Outback Oven and it helps a lot. It will never be my favorite stove for cooking pancakes and eggs.

Respectfully,

Jerry