Good overview of the week!

I'm with Teslinhiker on keeping the pool clean. Fill a bucket or two, and take it to the bathroom or kitchen sink. After all, suppose the outage had lasted TWO weeks? The record around here is 17 days.

Re: horse water. Chlorine off-gases, even when just sitting. Since you did get a generator, would it have been viable to fill the horse troughs with pool water and run bubblers in them to dissipate the chlorine? I don't know about pool chlorine vs. household chlorine. But I do know that horses can be awfully fussy about their water.

Another option for horse water: buy one of those white, square, frame-enclosed tanks and put it on the pickup* and drive to a pumped source of water and fill it. Our local feed store has a well, and as long as they have power they give away water if you provide your own containers.
* I know it's against the law to NOT have a pickup if you own horses, so that's how I know you have a pickup!

About the heat in the house: have you ever tried natural convection in summer? Open the windows on the sunny side of the top floor, open all connecting doors between the ground and top floors; open windows on the coolest side of the house ONLY on the ground floor. As the top floor heats up, hot air is expelled out those windows, and cooler air is pulled in from the lowest openings. A steady stream of cooler air should be moving upward through the house as long as the sun is shining.

Your septic: you could have run into trouble if the outage was longer term, right? What about the Humanure Handbook technique for disposing of waste? You already have manure, just build a horse-sourced compost pile and sandwich human waste in between the layers?

Meanwhile, here in WA, we've had TWO WHOLE DAYS of 80ºF so far this YEAR. Most days have been in the 60s, and half the days have been raining, and for the last few days, it has POURED. The peas like it, but the tomatoes don't.

Sue