Sometimes you see something that is pretty peculiar, and you wonder, 'Is that SOP here???'

My brother had both knee joints replaced a few days ago. He has been doing fine.

Today, they moved him across the street to a rehab-convalescence place. My sister works at the hospital, so she ran over to see if he was settled in.

He was acting oddly, talking randomly, repeating himself, twitching and fussing, and someone told my sister that they had given him something for pain, which had escalated in the last 24 hrs.

While she was there, a nurse (a real nurse, not a clerical flunky) came in and asked him questions, and he was looking out the window and acting like things were crawling on him, and the nurse asked him if he understood the questions. He said he understood, and he KEPT saying he understood, even when no one asked. Then she had him sign a paper saying that he had understood what she was telling him.

Does this sound right? Give a guy a painkiller that makes him act weird, then ask him questions and have him sign something?

Sue