Originally Posted By: widget
I bought the original Model 9 MSR stove from Larry Penbarthy, they cost less than $20 when first introduced. Every year I would go to the Northwest to climb and hike and every year I would stop by MSR at SeaTac airport and take the stove in for a checkup. Every year I would get traded at no cost to the latest version. Those were the days!!
DANG! Those were the days all right. smile I wish I could get my hands on a real Model 9, the ones with the crimped burner bell and a generation one white pump. Now those are collectors items (to a guy like me anyway).

They swapped out the generation one white pumps with the square knobs to the generation two yellow and black pumps with the round knobs pretty early on. The yellow and black pump went through many iterations including some with pins that held things together and aluminum fuel pick up tubes. Very interesting how many changes there were year-to-year in the early years of MSR. Unfortunately, no one kept records and it's probably impossible to catalog all the variants. I for one have neither the time nor the money.

Since REI took them over, things have changed.
REI has thankfully been out of the picture for about a decade now.

I heard somewhere that if you had an old yellow pump they were replacing them for free with a newer pump, but that's been awhile.
As far as I know that old offer is still in effect, BUT I wouldn't do it if I were you. The old black and yellow pump, particularly the later variants with the plastic fuel pick up and without the brass pins, is probably the best pump MSR ever made. I'd try to repair it if at all possible. As long as you haven't cracked the plastic of the pump or lost any of the parts in the check valve, your pump can be made to work again. DO NOT under any circumstances pull out the air supply tube (typically broken off at the base of the pump). That air supply tube is all that holds the spring loaded check valve in place. Lose those check valve parts, and your pump is history.

If you ever do lose your mind and trade in a black and yellow pump for one of the modern pumps, it will work. All MSR pumps of all generations are interchangeable except the Dragonfly pump. The Dragonfly pump will work only with a Dragonfly stove.

BTW, have you asked HikingJim for advice? He is the stove guru and known around the world for his excellent stove information.
Ha! But thank you.

HJ