Originally Posted By: Crowe
Spring boarding off of the daypack help topic, which OTC meds do you find essential to have in a daypack first aid kit (or any kit for that matter) and for why?

Off the top of my head, I go with:

Benedryl- Allergic Reactions to foods, plants, insect bites
Acetaminophen (Tylenol)- Fever Reducer/Pain Killer
Aspirin - (reduces heart attack risk, maybe)/Pain Killer
Pepto-Bismol Chew Tablets- Nausea/Heartburn
Immodium AD - Anti-Diarrheatic
Neo-sporin - Anti-Biotic Wound Goo (I think I should patent that)
Saline Solution - Typically sold as nasal spray or contact cleaner, but good for sterile irrigation.

Any others you find indispensable?

For a daypack you are primarily providing yourself with meds instead of for family/friends/public so it makes sense to tailor the meds for yourself.

Since my own kit includes benadryl, lotradine (Claritin), loperamide hydrochloride (Imodium), triple anti-biotic, povidone iodine, 81 mg ASA, Tylenol, and Tums, I would say we are on the same track. Currently the Tums are going to be discarded in favour of Gaviscon (antacid with bicarbonate soda) and I will toss the standard strength Tylenol (vestige of the commercial kit) in favour of x-strength Tylenol.

I base this on my allergies, heartburn, heart attack prevention, pain management and nature's favourite -- diarrhea! I go with what works for me.
The anti-biotic and povidone iodine are for general wound management. I also usually carry a very small bottle (15ml) of hand sanitizer to keep my hands clean before meal prep. This is matched with the AMK .5 kit which originally was a lightweight solution but is now severely modified. It is now about 4.5 oz. in weight.

Not only is the type of meds customized to suit me, the quantities of each of each are designed to suit me and my activities.