Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: duckear
Ditch the FAK.
Duct tape,toilet paper,some ibuprofen, and benadryl for a day hike is plenty.

This is the kind of thinking that gets you into trouble. you don't need a huge FAK, but "just a day hike" can still lead to serious injuries. I have seen and treated lots and lots of examples.

Some kinds of terrain can produce more injuries than others, as can some activities. perhaps that is a better way to go about your planning. i am a great fan of elastic bandages, some serious sterile bandages, and the ability to improvise (bandannas are great). Most important is your training, which is weightless....

Yeah, I said ditch the FAK.

Apparently many of yall have no idea what a .5 AMK FAK contains while defending it.

From the AMK website:

The Adventure First Aid .5 contains basic supplies to treat cuts & scrapes, insect bites, and blisters.

Bandage Materials
10 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
1 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 2" x 4.5"
2 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
2 Bandage, Butterfly Closure
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2

Medication
1 After Bite Wipe

Survival Tools
1 Mini Rescue Howler Whistle

Wound Care
6 Antimicrobial Towelette

So, what exactly is so much better about the FAK he is carrying for a day hike vs just using what he already has, ie duct tape, TP, and bandanas?

For day hikes, most folks are better off with meds and improvising any needed bandages. I can cover a wound with TP and a bit of tape. Can you make Motrin or Benadryl?

Edited by duckear (07/10/11 07:15 PM)