Interesting scenario of which many here could easily find themselves in and also have the kit listed on hand.

If you decide to stay put, starting a fire is one option, however depending on time of year and area, large smokey campfires etc are not all that uncommon and may be ignored. If you were over a major flight path, your fire may draw some attention...again depending on area.

Considering that no one knows we we went, and with no means of modern comms, both SO and I are in very good physical condition and have many years of wilderness experience that based on this particular scenario, it would be a fairly easy decision to gear up and move out with all the gear listed as it will easily fit in pockets or small pack.

As for primary dangers if you decided to walk out.

- Getting lost which depends on how well you don't know the area. Many times, forestry roads look much different when walking then driving where you were not paying that much attention. Taking a left fork and not taking right fork on the road without realizing for a few hours can lead to other mistakes.

- Foot/leg or other debilitating injury. One twist or roll of the ankle after you walked 20 miles from the relative safety shelter of the truck can put not only you but your SO into a real survival situation where some difficult and critical decisions would have to be made. Taking your time as well as making well thought out and methodical decisions is key to reducing the injury risk.

- Weather to a certain degree. Good example was this past weekend. We seen lows of just above freezing with rain and sleet to sunny 85F weather to 50 mile per hour wind gusts to almost torrential rain all within a 48 hour period. With little food which = low energy for the 60 mile walk, it is certainly within reason to not think that potential hypothermia could play a factor.

I am sure other here will have more thoughts, but one thing that I drill into people when we are out hiking, camping etc is that getting lost, hurt and dying is not caused by any one mistake or event. It has been proven that people when they do get lost, hurt or die out in the wilderness, it is the grand result of many unseen or unrecognized mistakes that lead up to the final event. This can certainly also apply to this scenario and also the scenario I posted about a few days ago in another thread.

John Lubbock