Learn anything new? Sales pitch? ScouterMan, if you're sold anything other than basic self-rescue techniques and how to stay out of the way of first responders, you should steer clear of this CERT training.

CERT doesn't teach you anything abundantly novel or new, what it does is give you a curriculum that may save your life and the lives of your neighbors in the event of an emergency so broad that first responders are not immediately available.

In only one jurisdiction am I familiar with a CERT program that does more with CERT trainees other than allow them to self-organize, prepare to respond in their neighborhoods etc - that's Southern California, where the need has been so dire they reach a level of organization that justifies the effort. There they invite CERTs to train in more advanced rescue techniques, and I have met former SoCal CERTS who are now happily employed as PNW paramedics. In every other jurisdiction, CERT gets its rightful place - you're given the basics to triage wounded, effect rescue from lightly damaged structure, put out small fires, shut off gas, etc. In reality: if you have no first aid skills, your triage will be a nightmare, if you get emotional about rescuing your Uncle Hal and Aunt Harriet you may endanger yourself and other rescuers going in after them in a collapsed structure, and if you don't set aside a fire extinguisher your house will smolder and burn after an earthquake. If you take CERT training though, and follow the training, you will be more prepared for all of this than the average bear. If you're lucky (where defn lucky = organized), your CERT chapter may be called out to fill sand bags, or do other simple deployments.

CERT training doesn't prepare you for some sort of fire department auxiliary - in the event of a disaster, actual fire fighters will look past you and rely on their own scant resources. If you're looking for better first aid, I recommend an EMT course; if you want to rescue folks for a living, go apply with your local FD or join a volunteer organization. You'll get dozens of hours of actual training that might qualify you to help out. CERT gives you an introduction on the mechanics of preparing yourself, and rescuing your family and neighbors in the event first responders aren't available.

Don't get me wrong - I am CERT, I've taken some follow up training with our local FD. Its what motivated me to prepare for the types of disasters I may encounter near where I live. Its what started me connecting with my neighbors, since in the event of an actual disaster I may be helping them, or they will be helping me - we're all in it together. Its what connected me with my volunteer position with the Red Cross, where thanks to more advanced training and experience I can set up sat comms, and establish shelter and feeding operations for 5,000 all in a few hours. When the big 9.0 EQ hits our neighborhood, my responsibilities are local, very CERT: I have plenty of kerlix and bandages set aside for crush wounds and everything else we'll see in terms of injuries. I have a garbage can full of pry bars and cribbing material for extrication. I have fire extinguishers at the ready. I have a small supply of KIA tags. I will still be praying for a real fire fighter, cop or EMT to show up in our neighborhood in the first 72 hours.

My one advice: no matter what your level of experience, don't take CERT as new or not new. The guys who sat through the CERT training and tossed it off as stuff they already new, I distinctly recalled how they failed in the practical tests at the end of CERT. They were not the type of guys I would want to rely on in an emergency, shiny green vest or no. CERT works when you treat it as tools to prepare you to self-rescue and to maintain your family safely through typical emergencies. And you get bonus points I think if it causes you to enhance your training in one area or another, but that's probably outside CERT curriculum, which I think they're okay with.