When I was recovering from a broken shoulder the past year, DH carried my hiking pack while I toted a fanny pack. Now that I can handle the load again the past 4 months, he still ribs me for carrying so much stuff.

On a hike this weekend, I gave in and went light. (Ritter PSK with mini bic, mag block with ferro rod and SAK, FAK, multi-tool lanyard, wool blanket, rain jackets, hot dog weiners, bug spray, sunscreen, 1 water bottle each, map and compass, leatherman, AAA mag, firesteel. DH carried a water bottle, leatherman, AAA mag and cel phone.) DS carried his survival kit and water too.

I was too light. We wanted to stay out over-night but didn't feel adequately supplied, even with DS's ever-growing kit. (He's carrying his own stuff now and fighting the over-prepped battle too.) We were specifically short of water and food this time. We were dressed just fine, with light long pants, LS shirts, hats, socks, good boots (shoes
for DS) and sunglasses. The beach we were on had plenty of dry driftwood, enough for shelter and fire, but that isn't something we can count on.

I fight an unending battle against over-packing.

I've been repacking today and have come up with this set-up. This kit is intended only for day hikes and unplanned overnights, not camping and not trips where we share pavement with the parking lot. We often go on unplanned hikes. The kit lives in the trunk of my car for just such an occasion. We're in South Eastern Ontario, and don't spontaneously venture farther than about an hour or so drive from some sort of civilization.

What are your thoughts?

ON-BODY:
-Leatherman Kick with AAA mag and firesteel in sheath
-Lanyard with Fox 40, Gerber Vise mini tool, firesteel and LED
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, mag block with ferro rod and SAK

NAVIGATION:
-Local maps & Silva compass

LIGHT:
-LED headlamp & extra batteries

FIRST AID:
-AMK .5 FAK with extra gauze, pressure bandage and 2 triangulars

SHARPS:
-Buck folder
-Sierra saw

SHELTER:
-2 rain ponchos
-2 bandanas
-Wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

WATER/FOOD:
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-1.5 ltr water bottle with filter (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Pepperoni sticks
-Hot chocolate
Food can be added before each trip, but I think I'll add some Cliff bars and jerky to be better prepared.

FIRE:
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-Birthday candles

MISC:
-Bug spray (spray can & wipes)
-Suncreen
-Toilet paper (about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll, inner tube removed)
-Baby wipes
-Small roll duct tap
-20 ft nylon cord
-cel phone

ADDED:
-bear bell
-small air horn
-OTC meds

REMOVED:
-Ballcap clip-on LED & extra batteries *Redundant Back-up
-LED crank light *Redundant Back-up: keychain LED on lanyard
-Buck fixed blade *Redundant Back-up
-2 rain jackets *Redundant Back-up *Will switch out with ponchos when the cooler temps come back
-Mylar sleeping bag *Redundant Back-up
-Bic *Redundant Back-up
-Fire steelm *Redundant Back-up *Have one on lanyard
-Strike anywhere matches in matchsafe *Redundant Back-up
-Vaseline soaked cotton balls *Redundant Back-up
-Tea lights *Redundant Back-up
-Bucket hat *Redundant Back-up
--Canteen cup *Redundant Back-up

Edited by bacpacjac (07/04/11 10:42 PM)
Edit Reason: Adjusting as we go thanks to your input

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA