Originally Posted By: Susan
Actually, that may be a good thing.

The only reason we make ethanol from corn is because we grow so much of it. Corn isn't really a good source of ethanol ....

Sue

So true.

Switchgrass is a robust native North American prairie grass.

Monster grain companies step aside; we are already building new switchgrass (and woodchip) ethanol plants........ I use ethanol on my long distance trips in my Chevy Impala in temperatures from +105F to -20F and I am very happy with it's power and mileage performance. In farm country it costs 90 per gallon less than gasoline and pollutes less.

For those who worship at the altar of the man-made global warming religion, switchgrass roots bind up 94% of the carbon it produces, and "delivers 540% of the energy used to produce it, compared with just roughly 25% energy returned by corn-based ethanol according to the most optimistic studies" ...Scientific American mag

Even if subsidies dry up, I will buy ethanol, and my fuel money will stay in North America. When, in the future, I can identify cellulosic ethanol I will buy that instead of corn ethanol. Seeing mile after mile of waving perennial prairie grasses has got to be a good thing for almost everyone.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=grass-makes-better-ethanol-than-corn