Originally Posted By: sotto
Well, not to be too disparaging, but I seriously wonder what really useful information a person might get by listening to the radio in an emergency situation these days? I have a couple good battery radios, including various transceivers (I've been a ham since 1973), but I'm not optimistic. Anybody have any direct experience, like from the Katrina situation for example? How useful was a battery am/fm radio receiver in that particular disaster?

In the days after hurricane Ike radios were the primary source of information. I kept a small battery-powered radio on around me at all times because it was so useful!! Since we didn't have power or phone lines, tv's and the internet weren't available. Most radio stations moved away from their regular formats and focused on delivering news such as where FEMA was passing stuff out, tips on dealing with insurance, estimates as to when power would be restored, gas stations that were open, and a plethera of other useful information. Not only was this information useful, but the effect it had on morale was just as important. The radios gave me and my neighbors links to the outside world. Plus we really enjoyed making fun of the miserable people calling in to complain that help wasn't coming fast enough while we were partying because our neighborhood was prepared. grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.