I'm using an HP laptop that's about 6 years old. It was a top dog at the time. I've had no problems. It still runs Internet video streams just fine. I'm anal about running a virus/spam program all the time. Also, I don't let anybody else use it, unless I'm right there hoovering. One issue is that 100 GB was a lot of hard disk space 6 years ago, but that's not much nowadays. However, I do have an external hard drive for overflow, backup, etc.

I'm thinking about upgrading my laptop, not because I must, but more because I don't want to wait until something goes wrong. My last 5 laptops were HP, no issues. I'm fine operating with no desktop computer, no external monitor and no external mouse. I like to keep it simple.

If you're like me, you'll get the most high-tech laptop beast you can afford. I don't like replacing my computer every 1 and a half years. I'm fine with not having the latest and greatest 3 years after I purchase.

Another option I'm think about is buying (1) a monster desktop and (2) an iPad or similar for travel. I saw a 55" monitor that made me drool, and I think I need to have it.