Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
You've got a generator now and that's great! Keep the manual handy, along with extra gas and oil. Be careful and don't overload the circuits though. Read the manual carefully.

And run it regularly.

Quote:
You need enough bottled water on-hand for a week or two. (2-3 Ls per person per day.) Maybe a couple cases and a couple of those big jugs to start.

Also, grab a small bag of calcium hypochlorite from the pool supply store. With that and instructions http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/b...isinfect-water/ you can disinfect a lot of water.

Quote:
You need flashlights and extra batteries. Candles are great for outside but don't risk fire or fumed in the trailer. Use LED lights in there. A lantern or two will light the place up. Getting lights that work on all the same batteries saves time rummaging for refills.

My mom doesn't know squat about flashlights. Rather than have her buy a cheap incan and keep only one set of batteries for it, I bought her a good flashlight and a box of lithium batteries.

Quote:
Get a big bucket with a tight fitting lid and stock up on toilet paper and baby wipes. It's nadty, I know but just imagine it.

And plenty of contractor bags.