My 63 year old mom spends her summers in a trailer park in south eastern Ontario. They recently got battered by high winds and rain and lost power for a few days. It's got her thinking about preparedness. Hooray!

She's a nurse so has medical and first aid pretty well covered. She used to be a camper so has lots of basics on-hand already.

She bought a generator during this latest event, and has a propane BBQ. The stove and heater for the trailer run on a large propane tank as well. She also has a firepit (big ol iron rim) with grill. Everything else there is electric.

She only gets spotty cel phone service and has been putting off getting POTS.

Here's the list I made to get her started. I'd love your feedback.

You've got a generator now and that's great! Keep the manual handy, along with extra gas and oil. Be careful and don't overload the circuits though. Read the manual carefully.

Keep your propane tanks full, and maybe get a spare for the BBQ. Keep some firewood and kindling in the shed too, and don't forget to keep a few bbq lighters on-hand.

Get your land-line phone hooked up! You need a way to call for help other than your cel phone. A crank/battery powered weather radio is a good idea too.

Check you first aid kit. Add a pack of maxi pads and some roller gauze and/or tensor bandages in it for bleeds and breaks, and get extra triangular bandages for slings and slints. Tweezers and a manifying glass are good for spnters and bug bites. Get a tube of polysporin too!

Stock-up in extra meds, including tylenol, iboprohan and benedryl. (Asprin too if you can use it.) Get a little cooler and gel packs if any of it needs refrigeration, and make sure the lables are clear on everything.

You need enough bottled water on-hand for a week or two. (2-3 Ls per person per day.) Maybe a couple cases and a couple of those big jugs to start.

You need non-perishable food. Maybe a couple boxes of cereal/power bars, cereal, dried fruits, crackers, vaccuum sealed smoked salmon, canned tuna, canned pasta, canned fruit powdered milk, etc. Don't get stuff that needs water or heating and don't forget a manual can opener.

You need flashlights and extra batteries. Candles are great for outside but don't risk fire or fumed in the trailer. Use LED lights in there. A lantern or two will light the place up. Getting lights that work on all the same batteries saves time rummaging for refills.

Since you're not there in the winter, you don't really need to think much about extra heat and warmth right now, beyond what you'd already have there. Always have extra clothes on-hand. Bring extra blankets, sweaters, etc. as summer turns to fall and the nights get cooler.

Make sure you have rain gear for you and the trailer. Tarps, rope, bungie cords, etc. wiill help you batten-down the hatches if need be. Have a couple of buckets on hand for leaks.

Get a big bucket with a tight fitting lid and stock up on toilet paper and baby wipes. It's nadty, I know but just imagine it.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA