Originally Posted By: barbakane
In fact, obesity may get worse...in the scramble to produce more food, costs need to continue to come down, which means additional additives for shelf stability and flavor...high fructose corn syrup being just one example. It's a travesty when a gallon of water costs more than a gallon of soda. I'm doing my part by having my own garden, as are our neighbors. I also cook almost all meals, so freshness and flavor are guaranteed without all the additives. I recently saw a show that stated in the 1800's families spent 10 cents per dollar on food, that figure today is 70 cents per dollar. People simply grew most of their own food.
If anyone has more accurate info, that would be great. Please share.

70 cents on the dollar seemed rather high to me, as in my mind that equates to 70% of my income which would be preposterous. I did a quick search because, "Hey maybe I am completely off". I can't confirm the ideology of the writer but this article goes over the national percentages for family budgets. Food is listed as about 14%.

Another website I looked at did research on the food totals of a family of four at around $770 per month, which the percentage is arbitrary to the food lifestyle of the family and household income.

I don't think that 10% would be all that hard to imagine for a family in the 1800 given that in America we were still very much a rural society until the late 1800s. Thus we raised or hunted much of our own food for consumption, sale or trade.