Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Get him a simple mid-sized SAK with a large 2" blade, and a smaller 1.5" blade.

Give him some basic training on it slipping and folding on his fingers. Give him the standard speech about being responsible and careful. Then let his go and allow him to make his mistakes.

Yes, it will fold on his fingers when he tries to use it like a dagger, and he will try to use it like a dagger. Yes, his hand will slide onto the blade when he tries to stab something, and he will try to stab something. He is going to cut himself and he will hurt and bleed. But, he will learn.

Kids have always had to bleed a little to learn how to handle a knife. They pretty much have to bleed a little to learn to respect, but not fear, a knife. The good news is that most cuts tend to be small and require little more than a little soap and water and a band-aide.

You might want to give him the fist-aide training for minor cuts along with the basic warning. Wash with soap and water, dry, instal bandage, go back to work.

If your son is like most boys - like said above "Kids have always had to bleed a little to learn how to handle a knife."
I did, my step-son did.......

Have him earn the Cub Scout Whittling Chip (The Whittling Chip is a “license” for a Cub or Webelos Scout to use a pocket knife. In order to earn the Whittling Chip, a scout must undergo proper handling, care and safety instruction with a pocket knife.) Whittling Chip doc file

Either one of these will be good for first knives:
Victorinox-Swiss Army Inc Recruit Knife
Amazon.com link to the knife
Victorinox Swiss Army Tourist Pocket Knife
Amazon.com link to the knife

Both are good knives. The tourist one is my EveryDayCarry knife.

Last but not least - my Step-son Soars with Eagles and had the Arrow find him (Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow).

As an assistant Scout Master, I found the more active the Dad in the troop, generally the better the Scout does.

I wish your Son all success and hope to read about all of his successes.