Originally Posted By: Eugene
My cousin made one like that, you can see it a little here
They found out that they did need AC as it works like an oven in the sun, so you need to insulate it well.
They covered the inside in plywood like normal then hinged another sheet of plywood to fold up on the side so they could haul their 4 wheeler or fold it down for the bed.

It doesn't handle real well off paved roads though, not a lot of ground clearance, have to spot and go slot a lot to look for the hitch or rear to drag. Thats what steered me away from a trailer to a truck camper.

Where does your cousin generally live/travel? Up here in Canada we don't get the real hot temps like down there. Nonetheless it will be interesting to see how hot the interior can get even with the spray foam insulation.

As for the ground clearance. That is somewhat of a concern especially with the 7x14 trailers which are all dual axles. If we step down to a 6x12 sized trailer, most have a single axle which have several more inches of ground clearance depending on trailer model. Slightly bigger tires can also be added to help and the rear overhang is less.

The trade offs with a 6x12 is namely weight capacity which is generally around 1500 - 1600 lbs with a total 3000 lb GVW. Also the loss of the foot (7' vs 6') means that plans for a bed across the back of the trailer are gone as most trailers in the 6x12 size have interior width dimensions of 5'9" which is narrower in width then I am tall.

John Lubbock