Assuming we're talking about core backpacking gear, my experience has put me at just under the $1,000 mark for what I think is a fairly decent set-up.

I don't think any of my gear would be considered ultralight or top end stuff, but it is all quality gear ranging from entry to mid level.

When I say core gear, I'm thinking about the stuff from this list that falls under either "The Essentials" or "Camping Gear" section; in otherwords it omits things under either the "Clothing" or "Extra Items" sections as well as some other things not on that list at all.

Pricing what I have based on that list, the following is the approximate break down:
  • compass $50
  • headlamp $20
  • first-aid kit $20
  • water bottle $10
  • firestarter $10
  • knife $40
  • gear repair items $15
  • whistle $5
  • 70L backpack $110
  • 2 man tent $300
  • -7C sleeping bag $130
  • sleeping pad $60
  • canister stove $40
  • small pot & eating kit $40
  • water purifier $100

Looking at this list, going to the high end I'd say its the backpack, tent, sleeping bag & pad that would drive your total cost much higher. For the backpack you could easily go $300, the tent $500, the bag $360, the pad $190. That said a different knife, stove and cookset could easily add several hundred dollars as well. Based on that I'd say the high end could easily break the $2,000 mark.

To go cheaper the couple items that stand out are the tent and the water purifier. Substituting a less expensive (but still quality) tent and water treatment chemicals could easily drop $200 - $300 dollars off the total.

Edited by Denis (06/14/11 05:29 AM)