Actually, I should start this post by offering Doug an apology.

The Criminal code of Canada outlines what is deemed to be a prohibited weapon (Section 84. (1)(a)) and then more or less falls off the map. It includes switchblades, gravity or balisong, ballistic knives and any other device that is not firearm and prescribed to be a prohibited weapon????

I had originally thought the advantage to having an obscure knife law was owing to Canada being such a regionalized country. What is applicable in a large urban centre is completely unenforceable in a rural setting.

However, having read through the various posts and the Knife Rights website, it leaves far too much open to interpretation and only encourages confusion when there should be clarity. In NYC, it seems the district attorney is exploiting the vagaries of the state law to push through his own agenda. Although unfortunate, it is not a complete surprise.

In Ontario, there is a supposed rule of thumb stating you are entitled to carry a knife on your person as long as the blade does not exceed 3" in length. This is complete fiction.

I have owned and carried Spyderco Delica 4 and more recently a Ritter RSK MK1 and in discussion with some LEO(s) that I know - they have stated the following:

Technically, any knife I carry on person could be deemed a weapon. Regardless of how it is being used or the circumstance I find myself to be in. The only advice they could offer is to ensure that it is always visible (i.e. on my belt) otherwise it would be deemed concealed. Everything else is subject to interpretation.

One of the frustrating aspects is the myriad of questions some people have. Why do you need it? What are you going to use it for?

Well, I use it every day to open boxes, remove staples, sharpen pencils, open access panels painted over about 5 times, strip insulation, shave shingles, cut carpeting, etc., etc.

So again Doug, my apologies and I wish the foundation had a branch office available north of the 49th parallel.