Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Texts can get through in areas of poor reception and network congestion where calls get dropped or can't be made in the first place.

Chaosmagnet has made, I think, an important distinction here. I may be tiptoeing into obnoxious poster mode and if I am tell me, but I will continue to state that texts will work in poor cell or congested situations like the quote above also says, but will not work in no-service/no-reception areas. I'm not talking about no bar areas but no service available areas. I think a lot of people believe that both are the same thing.

I have attempted to send 100's of texts from my iPhone (at&t) and Blackjack (Sprint)over the years in no cell reception areas, to see if the text would cache and eventually send once I walked back into cell service. Sometimes I did this sitting literally just off the known reception range.

I have not had a single one go through with those two phones. Perhaps someone else has a phone or service plan that will continually loop texts in non reception areas until a minute single is established for a moment of time and the text is sent. If so let me know.

To flesh out the statement, in case i am not being understood, I know the limitations of at&t service very well. I've stood in the Grand Canyon and on tops mountains with no cell coverage only to have my friends chatting away on their phones. I have tried to send texts from my phone at that time as well (on my iPhone) and if they can't get out when you hit send, they don't go out automatically once you get back into coverage.