Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Skeleton units exist presently for California National Guard,The majority have been deployed to Iraq/A-stan or on standby at FOB's for rotation!I suggest an alternative,Deploy the Medical staff from our Humongus Prison systems for Emergency purposes!

I don't think it is wise to treat men with access to automatic weapons and explosives with the standard of care typically seen in prisons. We can get away treating prisoners that way because they aren't allowed firearms, can't vote, and few are wealthy enough to have much pull with politicians. If the prisoners are dissatisfied what, exactly, are they going to do? Write a nasty letter to the warden? Prison medical care is pass/fail. If they don't die, even if they are in pain, crippled, and suffer permanent damage, it is considered an acceptable outcome.

From what I saw, I was doing service work on their infrastructure and was always on the free side of the bars, the general level of prison medicine is about what you would see in many third world countries without the attention to detail, medical advancement over the last thirty years, and compassion. The 'doctor' for a large medium security prison was a set of part-time PAs who were grossly underpaid but kept showing up because if they didn't they would fill the position with someone less competent and less well intentioned.

Patents were treated for minor illness and injury on-site using medical tools pretty much what you would see in an ER from 1968. That and fist-fulls of ibuprofen, Tylenol, Maalox, antacids, and a whole lot of laxatives and lubricating mineral oil. Go figure. Any medical condition that might cause them to die in 48 hours, and trigger an investigation, got hauled off once a day to the nearest state affiliated hospital.

POWs, even those considered 'terrorists', get much better health care. Of course, if you want to see top-of-the-line, no-holds-barred, health care delivered without a thought to the cost look closely at the socialized medicine delivered to congressmen. For them, and their families, it is all just one free helicopter ride to Bethesda, MD and the best medicine money can buy.

Things may have changed in Florida prisons since I saw it but I really doubt it.