Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
The tragic thing is this (The 'War on Pocket Knives') is causing a ripple affect across the nation. After reading my local laws and seeing how vague and how people I know have been harassed by cops (Cops with auto openers, btw...) I've retired all of my pocket knives which could in anyway be gauged as a "weapon" or does not fit the Florida definition of "a common pocket knife." Our county started to crack down on knives because some guy with bipolar disorder beat up his spouse and they found he had a "collection of hunting knives." I saw the pictures and it wasn't a "collection of hunting knives" It was a knife collection that was frankly appropriate for any man who collects pocket knives.

So it's lead me down the path of MT's and SAK's only. I've been in no-knife areas (Street Art Fairs, stuff like that) unknowingly and a cop has asked me what is on my lanyard (S-Biner+Coil Keychain) and I show them and they just wave me away when they see it's a Leatherman or a Victorinox SAK.

It's sad that it's come to that, but I'd rather not spend a night in the clink.

Sadly, I can kind of relate to this.

Fortunately, most laws have exemptions to one-handed openers with FD/EMS/LE and military. Fortunately I've been involved in one or another since '96, and I've never had a cop once glance at a knife I've had.

That being said, kudos to DR and Knife Rights. Even NYC makes me nervous with their rampant anti-weapon paranoia.

I wonder if DC's recent strike-down on firearm bans is going to help thier case?