Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

My Wilderness EMT instructor works seasonally for a group that does jungle expeditions. His boss was on one such expedition in the Amazon when he needed to step into the bush for '#2 time'. He left his backpack with the group, went off-trail for a ways to take care of business... and became completely disoriented. He wound up being lost in the jungle with almost no gear for 3 days. Miraculously while wandering around he bumped into a military group and they saved him, no joke. Company policy now calls for a simple belt system with a survival pouch & water bottle attached. If you leave the pack, the belt rig must be on you. This goes for everyone on the trip, both employees and clients.

Well thats the second incident of #2 pack loss so far. I think I will clip a whistle and small compass onto the family #2 bag; the kit already has lighters and matches in it.

Yes everyone has a small EDC which should contain these things (and more), but thats what preping is about, the what if situations ...

-A night trip (I've had people "disoriented" making a night trip before, not lost, but just a little worried)

-and the classic: "but I'm just going over there, there's no way I'll ever get lost, I can see the: camp, car, fire, phone tower, etc " (Spoken as the last words ever heard (almost), like in the example from Glock)