Australians love camping, and a huge camping accessory over here is the Camper Trailer. Basically a tent on a trailer which cost between $5,000 to $50,000 depending on levels of comfort. Even the basic models can come with built in kitchen, water tanks, jerry can holders for extra fuel etc and often they have been built with a go anywhere attitude for the Aussie bush (i.e. they are TOUGH). They are also really common and won't stick out. I am looking at one for camping (it takes half a day to load the car for camping to the levels of comfort my wife likes) but it would also serve as a bug-out RV. Check out http://www.campertrailers.org/ for more info on them.

If we ever get a really strong bad weather warning, I will evacuate. I won't think about the evac centres as I will be taking my dogs and cats with me. Being quite new to this part of Australia we don't know many people yet, certainly nobody local with a cyclone proof house, so we would head inland with the camping gear and / or south to family. Luckily we would get plenty of notice for a cyclone and we would make an early decision to leave. Having all our gear pre-loaded so all we would have to worry about is loading up some food, the dogs and cats and some clothes would be a huge bonus as the traffic would get bad and leaving early would be key. The people in the country would welcome the extra trade with open arms.

It would only be a short term thing. Trying to be a long term survivalist in the Aussie bush isn't really an option, at least with my skillset. If the house did get totally wrecked we would still come back to town and find temp accommodation then (we have friends for that!).