Sorry BacPacJac, I didn't follow through on your excellent suggestion. I will try to get some pics up soon. BTW, shouldn't this thread be in a different sub-forum, since The Campfire is "A place for Chit Chat about life or subjects of interest other than Survival or Emergency Preparedness"?

Originally Posted By: hikermor
But I have never understood losing your pack when hiking in the wilds. It just shouldn't happen

A couple of real-world incidents:

- This guy had his pack stripped off of him in an avalanche. The promo I linked shows this 'dramatically' but if you watch the episode, he specifically describes losing his pack in the event, and he had almost no gear on his person.

- My Wilderness EMT instructor works seasonally for a group that does jungle expeditions. His boss was on one such expedition in the Amazon when he needed to step into the bush for '#2 time'. He left his backpack with the group, went off-trail for a ways to take care of business... and became completely disoriented. He wound up being lost in the jungle with almost no gear for 3 days. Miraculously while wandering around he bumped into a military group and they saved him, no joke. Company policy now calls for a simple belt system with a survival pouch & water bottle attached. If you leave the pack, the belt rig must be on you. This goes for everyone on the trip, both employees and clients.