Aaachk! I just can't imagine carrying gear around my neck. I think I'm more sensitive to that than most people. Couldn't STAND wearing neckties either.

I much prefer carrying gear in my pockets, in a small fanny pack, or a backpack (as the gear gets more plentiful and bigger).

If trying to tether gear to myself (!) I'd rather use lengths of paracord tied to my belt and then stuffed into the same pocket. The only exception to that being a compass, but even that doesn't hang ... I'll only wear if around my neck if I have a breast pocket to stuff it in; otherwise it will drive me nuts.

Do keep in mind that I'm a small kit guy - ala Peter Kummerfeldt’s philosophy (http://www.outdoorsafe.com). Stuffing an enhanced (purification tablets, mini-BIC, ...) Ritter PSP in one pocket and a large orange plastic bag in another - along with my EDC Mk1 knife - is all I'll do. When outdoor I'm always carrying a 1 quart water bottle too. I've thought about also adding some kind of mini-tube to the PSP as a straw for gathering water out of tiny puddles.