Originally Posted By: LED
Dogs are a lot of work. 24/7/365. Your work schedule, social life, vacations, etc. will all have to accommodate the dog. Also, expect the unexpected when it comes to vet bills and health issues and buy the best premium quality dog food you can afford. Consider it preventive medicine. And unless you can afford a good trainer (they're expensive) expect a lot of frustration and work. [...] Sorry if I'm over emphasizing the work part, but I find it very sad when people adopt an animal and then give them up when they realize the commitment involved. Something I've witnessed far too often.

You make a very good point. IMHO a lot of people fall in love with the idea of having a pet without realizing that ideas don't puke into your shoes, demand begin let out at inconvenient times, require inoculations and heart-worm medication. Ideas don't get lonely and chew up the couch or scoot their butt across that oriental rug your grandmother gave you.

I've seen too many people who claim to be 'dog lovers' neglect and abuse their animals because they can't bridge the gap between what they think their idealized dog is all about, and what a real dog does.