In addition to the list of potential survival positives listed in the last post, which pretty much defines most of the "well-trained" bit would be for survival, I have been trying to think about how you would want a dog or dogs to otherwise conduct themselves.

I do not know if I have ever even seen a well-trained dog, and I have never owned a dog, so bear with my undoubtedly ignorant ramblings. This would be the start of my how-I-need-my-dog-to-behave list.

Quiet except when we are threatened or on command, including a command for play.

Eliminations when and where commanded, with agreed behavior to indicate pressing need. I have been reading that SAR dogs are trained to do their business on command in garbage bags, for example.

Calm but alert attention to everything around me - not startled or frightened into action or reaction by any of the normal loud noises of the urban environment. Perhaps trained to be steady in the vicinity of gunfire.

Well-socialized, friendly, and patient with non-threatening others.

Primary focus and concern on pleasing me.

Obedient to me, only.

The more I look at this list, the more it seems I would have to go through good-owner training to be able to competently train any dog to be the companion animal I want.