Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

But the idea that just because I'm a cop, I should be automatically punished more for any crime and have nil legal rights isn't.
qjs

Yet you probably will be. You can't have it both ways; assaulting an officer is generally held as a more serious crime than assaulting a fellow citizen based on the theory that you're attacking the whole of society. And one entrusted with representing society is often held to a higher standard.

Specialized training can also lead one to being held to a different legal standard. For instance, a professional boxer who kills someone in a bar fight will likely be judged differently than an untrained person because of his specialized skills. It's just the way the law works.

It should go without saying that we're basing these comments only on the facts as they have been presented; there may be important bits of the puzzle that we've not been shown. This is a discussion on an internet forum, not a trial in a court of law. However, it doesn't look like there'll be a trial. That's tragic since at first face is looks like an unjustifiable homicide.