Originally Posted By: Susan
So, this brings up the question of HOW to signal in poor weather and poor visibility conditions.

As has been said before, you need to prepare for the worst possible conditions, not the best possible conditions.

Sue

Although I still carry the regular tools (whistle, mirror, etc.) the Laser Flare has fast become my go-to tool for being found, especially by aircraft. Doug reviewed the laser flare and his testing indicated that it could be seen by aircraft far further than the aircraft could be seen by a person. My experience (only a dozen or so times at this writing) is that if I can see the helicopter he can see the flare. Even in minimum weather the flare is visible any time you can see the aircraft. Even with radio communication, it makes being picked up MUCH easier. Smoke is popped only when they are close and have seen you without help.

It also makes life much easier for the rescuer if he or she knows what to look for. Your Plan (flight, float or hiking) should include the types of signalling devices you have, much the better to find you.

Respectfully,

Jerry