Seriously though, I am building a serious RV trailer, "BOT" of sorts, from a VERY high end ambulance box. 5052 aluminium alloy extrusion throughout and insulated. 8' x 8' x 12'. It will sit on a single axle with 17.5" tires good for 6000# each and a GVW of 8000#. The unit will be able to haul the full tire capacity of 12,000# (during a BO I dont think DOT will try to scale me). I am upgrading my truck currently as well, F-350/450/550 crew cab. I have three young children and think it is wise to have a contigency plan to be able to GO. My plan is for a full diesel unit (including modest power generation) capable of 3000-5000 mile non-stop (fuel anyhow) travel. I do (did) alot of adventure travel before the kids,driven to Mexico City 4 times, and all over the US and some of Canada. As they age we plan to do alot of road tripping and adventure travel with them, to that end this unit will help as a "non-conventional RV". We will likely be the "talk" of any camp ground we roll into. I am fabricating/ scavenging nearly all of it myself, avid welder, fabricator and general inventor. I also plan to use it as a teaching tool for my oldest (9), he will be our assistant in the photovoltaics and general technology stuff.

So while the lumbering beasts shown bring some things into question, I think a BOV can be capable (towing, and supplies etc...) of creating a good to better Survival Tool.

Ironwood

Edited by Ironwood (05/25/11 03:29 AM)