The cause of the survival situation would probably dictate how much you would/could cannibalize the car.

Now, if we had a massive solar flare or an EMP, the usefulness of the modern car would deteriorate to the point where it would be more valuable for its parts than as a mode of transportation. And if the flare/EMP hit while we were fifty miles from home in snow country, the trick would be to survive until you could get clear of the snow and hike home. One problem with this scenario is that you would probably have to face the fact that it isn't likely anyone would be looking for you, you would be on your own.

If possible, maneuver the car around to face south and use it for solar gain during the day. I would like to think the occupants had some socket wrenches and a ratchet tucked in it somewhere.

Remove the seats, they're nothing but a hindrance; you can stretch out on the floor. Peel off the seat coverings and lift out the stuffing. Fluff the stuffing to use as insulation. Cover the windows at night with the seat coverings to help retain body heat.

I don't think you could use those silly new wheels for much of anything unless you had a liner. If you had some aluminum foil, you could probably set the wheel over a fire and melt water if you were careful not to melt the foil.

The owner's manual would now be useless except as something to get a fire going.

The tires would mainly serve as low outdoor seating.

A week or so ago, I was passed by a Lamborghini (accompanied by the whiplash-effect of my passengers coming to full attention). Can you imagine an Italian being stranded with only his beautiful car, having to make the decision that Dweste has outlined? The car would be found totally intact and polished, the driver dead of frustration.

Sue