Originally Posted By: hikermor

But I have never understood losing your pack when hiking in the wilds. It just shouldn't happen if you have any kind of experience and with all my misadventures over the years, it has never come close to happening to me. I have dealt with really inexperienced newbies who, panic stricken in a storm, threw away their packs, so they could run faster through the woods in order to evade an oncoming storm (??), eventually injuring themselves and initiating a SAR operation, but they were definitely bottom of the barrel types.

You are correct, losing a pack should never happen. The only time I worry about this and always ensure that I have bit more then basic gear on my body is during river crossings. Crossing a river with a fully loaded multi-day pack strapped to your body can result in a disastrous outcome. I was taught long ago to loosen/unbuckle all straps before crossing in case of a slip and you end up in the drink. If this does happen, the backpack is easy to shed and may save your life.

Originally Posted By: hikermor

I was surprised that the trooped was carrying his tent in such a manner that it could slip off his pack. Packs should contain their contents inside and present a smooth uncluttered exterior, the better to glide through the brush.

Love/hate with this one. I like the ease of access of having some gear on the outside of the pack. However on the flip side, gear snagging on branches etc can be a pain...not to mention the possibility of the gear somehow coming loose and falling off. (Yes I have seen it happen.)

John Lubbock