Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Pretty tough to scavenge much without some basic tools. At least a wrench, a screwdriver, a knife, and a pair or two of pliers would sure be helpful.

Since I EDC at least a knife, I'm going to assume that I've got a knife, a tire iron, and a jack.
HJ

I agree, without the benefit of some basic hand tools, it will take a lot work to scavenge a car to really utilize in a survival situation.

One thing to keep in mind what is the likelihood of rescue whether that be self or waiting for SAR? I recall back in the early 1990's, up north a man and his wife got stuck off-roading in early spring. They tried for the first couple of days to dig themselves out to no avail and decided (wisely) to stay with the truck that provided shelter from the elements etc.

After a few more days of decent dry weather, the road they were stuck on dried up enough that they were able to get the truck extricated and make their way home which was about 60k (36 miles). Had this couple decided to scavenge the truck beforehand to the point of non driveability, the outcome could of been much different...

John Lubbock