I really don't consider fishing gear as survival equipment in anything but a remote marine setting. Fishing is a good option on a life raft. It isn't like you have much chance of walking out or actively improving your chances of being rescued so fishing, even if it isn't a reliable source, might supplement both food and water.

Even there the oceans are not as remote as they once were with rescues being a few hours, or a couple of days at most, for most areas.

On land, for the most part, if you have time to fish you aren't surviving. Time used fishing might better be used to improve your chances of being rescued or walking out. You might be vacationing or homesteading while fishing but you wouldn't be, in my estimation, in a survival situation.

That said, I have used fishing gear while hiking and have spent hours enjoying myself fishing. The rig I used was a simple hand line. Basically a tin can with a large cork for closure and fishing line/s wrapped around the exterior. Inside the can I kept some small weights, mostly split-shot; an short assortment of common lures, poppers were the most successful at pulling in pan fish; a small bobber, hooks and rubber worms. I most often used 15 to 25 pound black braided polyester line because it was easy to use by hand and made tying easier and more secure. Braided poly is also quite limp which allows easier hand-line use. Mono-filament is usually fairly stiff and forms loops which tangle and unwinds itself from the reel if not secured.

With practice I could toss a weighted lure on a hand line about 50' which is adequate for the streams, and ponds I was fishing. I quickly found I could get the most fish for the least effort, and have a lot of fun tossing a popper and split-shot out 10' or so and jerking it back a foot at a time to make it pop. Bluegills and other pan fish would mob it. On a warm summer day I could have a dozen fish in a very short time and would spend the rest of the time releasing what I caught. Good times and great fun.

But, IMO, it is a marginal survival technique outside a very narrow range of situations.