Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have experienced bad locations from GPS, but not so bad that I didn't know where I was. In a fairly deep canyon (and probably less than optimum satellite geometry), the GPS told me I was in the bottom of the canyon, while I, eagle eyed archaeologist that I am, could readily see that I was well up the canyon slope at an obvious bend in the canyon.

You must think when you are navigating. Compasses and maps have their imperfections, as well. Don't trust any tool mindlessly.

I had a funny GPS experience about 2 years ago: I drove off the edge of the world ! Yes really !

In case you're wondering, there were no sea monsters, but there is a 100m cliff and a pounding surf which sprays up, onto the top.

I encounterd this when I was heading out to Steep Point, that’s the most Westerly point of the Australian mainland, part of Shark Bay in Western Australia. I’d plotted in a few way points (from home in advance) and was expecting to come to a minor track intersection when suddenly the GPS went blank. No information. No nothing. I did a reset and fiddled for quite a while, but the maps and information just stopped ! Later on I met the local caretaker who laughed and told me than (until recently) none of the GPS manufacturers included Steep Point and even Google maps did not cover it (until a few years back). He and a few of the locals encouraged travellers to report back to Garmin etc to request it be added !

This may seem a bit odd to you people in Europe and North America, but its true ! So if any of you are planning a driving trip down here and want to visit Steep Point: check your GPS !

(Yes I had maps etc as a backup and there’s only really one road (track) so you can’t go too far wrong … unless you try of course).