Though I have other "smart" chargers, some very smart (programmable parameters), I prefer to charge Eneloop AAs in the famous old Maha MH-C204F charger. It only does pairs, and probably unlike most people I often use these batteries in singles too.

What I like about this charger is the Eneloops come off it at a few mV less than 1.5V. Way high, BUT they last notably longer in any app, and remarkably longer in devices that are more voltage sensitive (my GPS e.g.). Of course this voltage probably drops to 1.2V pretty quickly, but there still is a performance improvement. Now I expect the batteries may not last for as many charges, but they've lasted a long time so far and if I get 500 charges or even 250 instead of 1000, I don't really care. I mean these Eneloops are "paid for" after about 5 charges anyway. I'm more concerned with the increased runtime I get while I'm using them. When I'm at home and have access to lots of power options I don't care about runtime...

Anyway, just saying what I do. Bottom line is as far as I'm concerned, Eneloops made NiMH really worthwhile. Some regular NiMH have greater capacity, theoretically, if you use them quite quickly. But I'd never use the regular ones in anything where I need to set it up then expect it to work properly/optimally some extended time later. And I always carry some spare alkalines JIC, fairly lightweight insurance.