Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I've also had very good luck with Duracell's pre-charged AA/AAA line (white tops, made in Japan).

Sanyo Eneloops are great batteries, but the rebranded "Duraloops" sold under the Duracell brand are an easier way to buy them locally. I don't recall ever seeing Eneloops in a store around here, but I do see Duraloops at places like my local Target.

However, you need to be careful because Duracell sells different kinds of rechargeable batteries and only one of them are Duraloops. The other kind of rechargeables are "normal" NiMH batteries. They can have a higher rated capacity but they do self-discharge over time, which most folks find annoying and inconvenient.

Just one thing to add to dougwalkabout's description. Besides looking for white tops to the batteries and "Made in Japan", also look for the words "Pre-charged" or "Active Charged" on the package.

Don't be surprised if you find black-topped batteries or white-topped batteries that say "Made in China" mixed in with the Duraloops, all with very similar packaging. That's why you need to look carefully so you get what you want.